Dear PEAI Member,
We hope that you have had a lovely summer after what was an unprecedented few months for everyone. The PEAI recently released a position statement regarding the potential conversion of PE Halls into seated classrooms. We encourage all our members to bring this position statement to the attention of your school management. It is available on our website or via our social media platforms. The PEAI has also contacted all other relevant stakeholders to make them aware of our concerns.
During the first half of 2020, the PEAI Executive spent a considerable amount of time planning for our Annual National Conference this October. However, with the ongoing Covid19 restrictions, our plans have been curtailed and revised. There is a short Google Form at the end of this email which will support us as we attempt to plan in this new Covid19 environment. It will remain open until Friday, 14th of August. Essentially there are now three options for this years Conference;
- A significantly reduced capacity Conference in October 2020. In-line with all national Covid19 measures and strict capacity guidelines as outlined by Carlow IT. Teachers will remain in the same small POD all day. Face masks will be compulsory. Theme = ‘PE in the era of Covid19’.
- Postponement of our Conference until early March 2021. Similar Covid19 measures as detailed will most likely still be present.
- Virtual / Online Conference only.
If we proceed with option A, there will be further protocols which all attendees must adhere to. Alongside the now common and well established nationwide Covid19 protocols already present across Ireland, others protocols will include:
- Health Check Forms to be completed by all teachers before arrival
- Downloading and use of Covid19 Tracker App
- Phone numbers and contact details to be provided by all attendees
- All teachers will be assigned a small POD within which they must remain for the entire Conference
- There will be no swapping or moving between PODS at any time throughout the Conference. This includes lunchtime.
- The wearing of face masks will be compulsory for the duration of the Conference
- There will be three workshops – 1 Junior Cycle, 1 SCPE and 1 LCPE. One of these workshops will be theory based and two workshops will be practical. Attendees must attend one Junior Cycle, one SCPE and one LCPE workshop in their assigned PODS.
Please click on the following link to indictate your preferred option.
Google Form Link:
The PEAI are continuing to correspond with our colleagues across the education sector as we seek further clarification for our members before teachers and students return to school at the end of August. Any further clarifications or updates will be shared with you via email or via our social media platforms. We hope that you enjoy the remainder of your summer holidays and please feel free to contact us at any time if required.
Your PEAI Executive