A Handbook of Ideas: Teaching Adventure Education
Deborah Tannehill and Michelle Dillon
University of Limerick
Adventure activities seek to develop in the pupil:
- the skills and techniques which will facilitate enjoyable participation in adventure activities
- decision-making skills and leadership qualities
- awareness of positive group dynamics
- an understanding and appreciation of the need for environmental protection
- an awareness of personal safety and a basic knowledge of first aid with particular reference to the outdoors.
(JCPE, 2002, p. 15.)
This handbook is intended to provide assistance in teaching toward JCPE adventure activity goals and objectives. JCPE (2002) indicates that adventure activities are intended to develop young people “personally, socially, and physically in a safe and challenging environment” (p. 15).